Breakfast options just got a little tastier! These oil-free, vegan waffles are easy to make and absolutely delicious. They have been taste-tested on a large crowd ranging from 3- 86 years old— and let me tell you, they were a crowd pleaser. The best part of all, the waffles are healthy too! You read that right, healthy, crowd pleasing, recipe. Whole wheat flour, applesauce, and plant-based milk are the main ingredients in these waffles. Swap in chickpea flour for the whole wheat flour for a higher protein, gluten-free alternative. Top the waffles off with cashew cream, berry chia jelly, and fresh fruit for more healthful, tasty flavors.
For those of you without waffle makers, I am sure this would make a wonderful pancake recipe too!
Pictured above: whole grain waffles with strawberry chia jelly, and cashew cream.
1 cup whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour, or chickpea flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Follow us for health and recipe tips
- Plug in the waffle maker and turn to medium-high heat. If using chickpea flour, you will want to use a lower setting.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the applesauce, plant-based milk, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until well-combined.
- Follow the instructions of your waffle maker (mine has a light and beeper for when it is ready); you may also need to lightly oil your waffle iron. When the waffle maker is ready, pour 1/3-1/2 the batter into the middle of the iron and work it towards the edges. Cook until desired texture and repeat until the batter is gone.
- Top the waffles with cashew cream and berry chia jelly for healthy, flavorful toppings.*
Note: To get the cashew cream to look like whipped cream: soak the cashews in water for several hours. Drain off the water and then pour into a blender. Use 2 Tbsp- 1/4 cup water for every 1 cup of cashews. Blend until smooth. You will need cake decorating tips and a tube. Scoop the frosting into the tube, and then top onto your waffles.