Many Indian dishes use the nutritious spice, turmeric. Cooking more curries and eating more traditional Indian dishes is a tasty way to utilize this potent spice.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup green lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced, or ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
Follow us for health and recipe tips
- If serving with brown rice, start preparing the rice first.
- Chop the onions, mince the garlic and ginger. Sauté all the spices with olive or avocado oil for 5 minutes using a medium sauce pan with a lid. Stir occasionally.
- Measure the lentils and rinse well. Add the lentils and water to sauce pan with the onions, garlic, ginger, and spices. Bring to boil and cover for 35-40 minutes on low-heat. The water should “cook out” just like when cooking rice. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Serve over brown rice. Pair with steamed or sautéed veggies or a green leafy salad.