Yale Urologic Surgery is a referral center for all malignancies of the testes, bladder, prostate, and kidney. Urologic laparoscopic procedures include: laparoscopic nephrectomy and partial nephrectomy and laparascopic lymph node dissection for testes cancer. Cryoablation (freezing the tumor) is available for appropriate kidney tumors. Ureteroscopic laser ablation for urothelial tumors is also used for upper tract lesions. In addition, Smilow Cancer Hospital has the most advanced daVinci robotic surgical technology for radical prostatectomy.
Patients also benefit from specialized resources at Smilow Cancer Hospital, such as the newest imaging technologies. Additionally, patients have access to caregivers who help them cope with the physical, emotional, and psychological issues related to these cancers. The extended team includes a health educator, social worker, dietitian, complementary therapists, and more.
Among the comprehensive cutting edge capabilities available through the program are:
- Experience and knowledge in state-of-the-art treatment options and investigational therapies.
- Coordinated access to necessary physicians and specialized resources within Yale Cancer Center and Smilow Cancer Hospital.
- Urologic medical oncology expertise.
- Urologic laparoscopic and robotic surgery expertise.
- Advanced laparoscopic prostatectomy.
- National and international experience using chemotherapy and hormonal therapy in localized and advanced disease.
- Cutting edge radiation therapy technology, including 3D-CRT and IMRT.
- State-of-the-art diagnostic imaging – CT and MRI.
- Urologic expertise within every specialty