Research shows that dairy increases the risk of developing prostate cancer. If you are a yogurt fan, you don’t need to eliminate yogurt from your diet— rather, try a plant-based, dairy-free alternative. There are many different kinds making their appearances on grocery stores throughout the U.S. If possible, try to get a unsweetened version of these yogurts— look for no added sugar in the ingredient label. To naturally sweeten your yogurt, add in fresh, ripe fruit!
- 2 cups unsweetened, Dairy-free Yogurt (e.g. Nancy’s Soy Yogurt, So Delicious Coconut Yogurt)*
- 1 cup berries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 banana
- 2-4 tbsp chia seeds (if using more, may need to add some unsweetened plant-based milk)
- walnuts, ground flax, or any other nuts or seeds are optional.
Follow us for health and recipe tips
- In a bowl or container, combine the yogurt with the chia seeds. Add more liquid if using more chia seeds to thin out the mixture. Allow to set for several minutes.
- Wash the berries (if fresh) and slice the banana. Add these to the yogurt bowl. Enjoy right away or allow it to soak overnight. Some unsweetened yogurts are a bit more tart, so soaking overnight is recommended so that the berries and the banana will infuse sweetness into the yogurt. Frozen berries do a really great job at this!
- Top the parfait with any additional healthful ingredients you desire, such as toast walnuts, sliced almonds, coconut flakes.
*If you find another unsweetened brand (no sugar added), let us know!