Tempeh tacos are a great meal idea for Meatless Monday. Use tempeh in place of chicken or beef for a plant-based protein in your favorite burrito recipe. Top it with raw veggies, cilantro, salsa, beans, and avocado— and even give our creamy, dairy-free Nacho Cheeze Sauce a try!
Tempeh is a whole food, fermented soybean product that is high in protein and fiber. There is a lot of misinformation about soy on the internet, so be sure to stop by our “Food Page” specifically discussing the nutrition research about soy.
2 bell peppers
1 package organic tempeh
1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon parsley
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
Black pepper (to taste)
1 large tomato
1- 15 oz can of black beans
4 whole wheat tortillas or 8 small corn tortillas
Nacho Cheeze Sauce (optional)
Follow us for health and recipe tips
- Wash all the veggies.
- Dice the peppers and onions. Sauté the onions and the peppers until desired texture. Set aside.
- Crumble the tempeh with either clean hands or a spatula. Add the tempeh to a pan and with ¼ cup water. Sauté the tempeh until the water has cooked off.
- In a bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin powder, garlic powder, paprika, parsley, crushed red pepper, black pepper, and ¼-½ cup water. Pour the spice mixture over the tempeh and allow to cook on medium-heat until the water has cooked off.
- Slice the avocado, and dice the tomatoes. Rinse the beans. Warm the tortilla shells.
- Layer the all ingredients on the tortilla shells. Top with fresh cilantro and salsa. Optional to also add our dairy-free, Nacho Cheeze Sauce.